Excel Templates | Excel Spreadsheets | 2010 FIFA World Cup Office Pool

2010 FIFA World Cup Office Pool

Posted on June 5, 2010
Filed Under Sports | 39 Comments

Hi all, there are many requests about making a prediction game or an office pool based on my World Cup 2010 Schedule.

There are many types of prediction games or office pools can be made based on custom rules for this 2010 FIFA World Cup Football Tournament in South Africa. I made one that you can modify, tweak or develop based on your own rules. I don’t put any password in those worksheets so you can learn and modify it easily.

I created an office pool that can accommodate until 25 players with 3 different rules with 18 point values. You can adjust those point values. And if you think you want to eliminate existing rules or add new rules you can follow the formula I created to modify it. And basically this is a rule that I used with my friends for every World Cup or European Cup tournament.

World Cup 2010 Player Scoreboard 2010 FIFA World Cup Office Pool

I separated those 25 players into 25 different worksheets, so you can make this excel spreadsheet as a sharing workbook. I will explain how to share this workbook later… or you can just find it the your Microsoft Excel help menu.

To summarize those 25 player worksheets, I created two worksheets, Player Scoreboard worksheet and Player Leaderboard worksheet. Player scoreboard worksheet is the place where you can adjust the game point values and the place to see each player’s point in every match. Player Leaderboard is the place where all player’s points will be ranked.

These are steps to use this spreadsheet :
1. Go to Player Scoreboard worksheet and set the point value
I define three rules for getting points in this pool game where any players can get points if
- they predict correctly match and score result
- they predict correctly match and score different result
- they predict correctly match result only

The score for those correct prediction are different and you can change it in in the point system box in Player Scoreboard worksheet.

I also define different points value in group and knock out stages. So, every player will still have a chance to win the game eventhough they join in the middle of the game or they always predict incorrectly in group stages.

There is a player scoreboard where you can see all player’s scores. You don’t have to do anything here except clicking on the player column to go directly to player worksheets.

World Cup 2010 Player Individual Worksheet 2010 FIFA World Cup Office Pool

2. Go to Player Worksheets and define player name
Put your name on the top row of the player 1 – 25 worksheets and the name will be automatically appeared in Player Scoreboard and Leaderboard worksheets.

You can start the game after this step.

There are several options to make this game is easily played.

First, you can print the player worksheets and any player just put their prediction in their sheets. And you can appoint yourself or someone to collect all the prediction information and put it in the player worksheets.

Second, You can share this spreadsheet using the sharing menu in your microsoft excel program. But, it will only work if your computers are connected each other. Put this spreadsheet in one computer or a server which strong enough to be accessed by 25 players at the same time.

I quoted how to share a workbook from microsoft excel help menu:
- On the Tools menu, click Share Workbook, and then click the Editing tab.
- Select the Allow changes by more than one user at the same time check box, and then click OK.
-When prompted, save the workbook.
-On the File menu, click Save As, and then save the workbook on a network location accessible to the intended users. Use a shared network folder, not a Web server.

In the player worksheets, there are two big boxes. The left box is your prediction box where you can put your score prediction. The right box is the real result box where the match will be appeared once you fill the result in tournament worksheet.

You can also see the point you earned on the top side of the right box everytime the real result is typed.

There is two shortcut link on top of its player worksheets, so you can jump directly to player scoreboard worksheet to see points of any players or jump directly to player leaderboard worksheet to see your rank or your position against other players.

World Cup 2010 Player Leaderboard 2010 FIFA World Cup Office Pool

And there is a language translation and timezone conversion available where you can change your country language and timezone before you start the game. Just go to the tournament worksheet and change it from the top left column on that worksheet.

Feel free to try and test this worksheets. It will be more easier to understand how to use it if you simulated your pool prediction.

That’s all guys. You can download the file below. Enjoy…

zip 2010 FIFA World Cup Office Pool  World Cup 2010 Office Pool (548.4 KiB, 10,153 hits)

Comments

39 Responses to “2010 FIFA World Cup Office Pool”

1. Marcus on June 6th, 2010 2:40 am

Can you make this work for Open Office?

2. Einar Solheim on June 6th, 2010 7:16 pm

Fantastic :)
    You just saved me hours of work (and provided a solution much better than I could have managed myself ;)

3. Trevor on June 6th, 2010 7:26 pm

Hey there. Great spread sheet. Theres 8 of us in Darfur working for a Canadian air charter operation with the United Nations. We decided to start a pool (as something to do) and so we stumbled upon your sheet. It’s been a great help so far however after we entered all the names, we only see #REF! on the scoreboard and leader board where all the data should be. What are we doing wrong?

4. Marcin on June 7th, 2010 2:09 pm

Great worksheet! Congratulation.

How to add more than 25 players?

marcin.mtl@gmail.com

5. Antonio on June 9th, 2010 3:47 am

Solo una consulta
    cambie el sistema de puntos pero al hacer una prueba en el partido 3 y 5 no cambia la puntuacion y esta definido el 50 puntos, no importa que puntaje se ponga, siempre usa 50 puntos. si se puede corregir, gracias.

6. Antonio on June 9th, 2010 3:51 am

I will try in english, the points system have a error in group stage 3 an 5 (i only test 5 stages), i change the points and in this stages didnt change, show 50 points mater if you change to 3. if is posible to fix. tanks. is very good work

7. Antonio on June 9th, 2010 3:59 am

im sorry the error is only if the firt team win with diferent score, in the table point show 50, no mater how many you set in the rules.

8. Rash on June 9th, 2010 8:19 am

I agree with Antonio… The problem becomes worse when you move Round of 16 and ahead. Even if we dont customize the points, if the first team wins the points are 50 only (even though table shows 100 and so on…)

9. Adam on June 9th, 2010 1:56 pm

Brilliant work, shame I found it after spending 8 hours on building one that is by far less impressive then this one. nice going…

If only it could be exported to google apps…

10. admin on June 9th, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Antonio and Rash,

Thank you for your feedback. I just found out that I haven’t replace 50 point dummy value inside the cell formulas. I already fixed it and you can download the new one.

11. admin on June 9th, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Trevor,

Please read the instruction carefully. I believe you broke the formula by wrong typing or renaming the sheet.

Regards

12. admin on June 9th, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi Marcin,

I hope I still have enough time to make it can accommodate until 50 players.

Regards

13. Rash on June 10th, 2010 3:10 am

Hi,

Thanks for the update. But still one error remains. The Match for Third Place uses the Semi Finals points (Column I from Points System table instead of Column J) and The Final Match uses the Third Place points (Column J from the Points System Table instead of Column K).

Regards,
    Rash

14. Ian Cox on June 10th, 2010 7:08 am

Hi,
    What points system is everyone using?

thanks
    Ian

15. Andrew on June 10th, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi,
    Great spreadsheets; I downloaded the WC 2010 Schedule and Scoresheet a few weeks ago and am using for an office competition; everyone has submtited their predictions now I want to insert ‘Look-Ups’ to award points based on accruacy of prediction, but of course cannot insert formulae as the sheet is protected. Can you let me have the p/word to unprotect pls???

16. admin on June 10th, 2010 3:20 pm

Dear Rash,

Thank you for giving me a quick correction. I have fixed that. Hope there will be no error found in this release.

Regards

17. admin on June 10th, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi Andrew,

You can unprotect the latest WC 2010 spreadsheet without typing any password to unprotect it.

Regards

18. Ryan on June 10th, 2010 4:31 pm

Great sheet. One question:
    Will points be awarded in the knockout rounds only if the correct country is in that draw. For example if the World Cup final is between Brazil and Spain and the score is 4-3 Brazil, but I had the final between England and Spain, England winning 4-3, will I get points for the correct score?

19. Priyanka on June 11th, 2010 12:59 am

This is great !!! Thanks a lot ! Have a great world cup :)

20. hayabusa on June 11th, 2010 3:57 am

hey cool work.. i really appriciate this.. thank u buddy.. thank

21. Mike on June 11th, 2010 9:26 am

Great work but i have 40 people wanting to play, is there a larger version?

22. Mary on June 11th, 2010 9:07 pm

If player predicts a draw, the sheet isn’t giving points based on Rule 3. I blanked out points for rules 1 & 2 because our pool only asked people to guess wins/draws, not scores. However, I don’t know if the formula accounts for a tie score. Is there an update? Thank you.

23. Chuck on June 12th, 2010 5:26 pm

Any good way to copy and paste from player v1.44 spreadsheet into office pool v1.1 individual players? I’m trying but not working well. And when filling in manually individual players, it doesn’t fill in name for rounds past group stage. isn’t there comparison between actual teams in each further game and results, or simply scores between team “X” and “Y”? Thanks, great work.
    CHUCK

24. Shaz on June 13th, 2010 6:56 am

Many thanks for this wonderful file. Amazing!!

One question, if there is a draw in the knockout stages how do we take into account a penalty winner? Do we just add one goal to the score after 90mins or will you be updating this after the end of the ggroup stages?

Cheers m8.

25. Ross on June 14th, 2010 8:19 am

I am getting incorrect points awarded for all players for games 3, 4 and 7.

I have put the points as 5, 3 and 2, however for games 3, 4 and 7 the sheet is awarding all players 50 points.

Any ideas?

26. thairover on June 15th, 2010 12:26 pm

when I open the player sheets and the ranking sheet,
    all boxes show error502
    I’m using NEO Office on a Mac OS tiger 10.4.11

27. Jon Ezell on June 17th, 2010 5:23 am

Thanks for the great Score Sheet. I am an expat in China and a few of us have been using this amazing sheet to keep up with the game and have a bit of fun. However, looks like I am having the same problems as the boys from Dafur – keep getting REF errors on the leader board and the score board…. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,

Jon

28. Matt on June 22nd, 2010 9:04 am

Many thanks for the excel spreadsheet on the World Cup 2010. So far the group stages seem ok to me and the points are working well. I am not sure how to enter bits in the later stages however as there does not seem to be a facility to put in extra time and penalty scores etc. Any assistance with this is much appreciated.

29. Johnny on June 22nd, 2010 5:42 pm

hey amigos baje el calendario de futbool, fifa 2010, pero me da un error en la parte de calsificacion en la segunda ronda , no hace la diferencia entre goles a favor y encontra ejemplo, sudafrica, tiene 3 positivos y 5negativos, osea -2
    y mexico, tiene 3 positivos y 2 negativos o sea +1, clasifica mexico, pero me pone a sudafrica, porque le mayor numero obvio, el 5 de 2,pero son negaivos, alguien me puede decir como corregir ests problema, gracias

30. Karim on July 9th, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi there,

Thank you for this good work, we have some fun using; However I have a bizarre behavior in the last game score, even if I have predict the right score for the last game, it gives me only 800 points when it supposed to give me 1600.

Can you please help, we’re almost there.

31. Mike on March 28th, 2011 3:12 am

Hi there

Excellent spreadsheet. This is exactly what I was looking for as a template to make my EURO 2012 footy fantasy office pool with. Though I tried to change the tournament name from World Cup 2010 to EURO 2012 Poland-Ukraine and country names but it comes up with an error everytime (#n/a). I am thinking it has something to with the language setting. I see it refers to a sheet called Countries and Timezones but I can’t find that sheet in file.

I am wondering if you, or anyone, can help me out with this because I would really like to adapt this file so I can create an office fantasy pool for next summers European Championship. Thanks and keep up the great work.

32. Mike on March 28th, 2011 3:54 am

I was wondering where the last three worksheets are for the file? I am wondering if the Language, Countries and Timezone sheets are located? Are they hidden for some reason? Please help because I am really wanting to adapt this prediction game for next summer’s EURO 2012. Cheers.

33. Jud on March 31st, 2011 12:36 pm

I have a question. I wanted to use your template to create a similar one for the 2011 Hockey World Cup. Would you be able to provide me with access to the tabs which are not available?

regards,

Jud

34. Craig on January 4th, 2012 11:58 am

Any chance of a Euro 2012 one?

35. Colm Cullen on March 23rd, 2012 2:20 pm

Great sheet. Can I have the password so I can change your hidden sheets to do Euro 2012?

Cheesr,
    Colm

36. Jens on April 12th, 2012 7:34 am

Hi! Any chance of you moditying it for euro 2012?

Would f***ing love it!

cheers!

37. Mel on May 21st, 2012 11:27 am

Hi,

Would love to have a EURO 2012 version as well.

Thanks!

38. Tony on May 23rd, 2012 9:38 am

Hi
    Would also like the same file for Euro 2012 or the password to edit the 2010 FIFA world cup file to use for Euro 2012

39. fred on January 20th, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello,

When do you upload a “2014 world cup pool”?